Monday, July 28, 2008

My Neighborhood Team

I grew up in Flushing, New York, about 10 minutes from Shea Stadium. Maybe this is part of the reason I love(d) the Mets so much. They really were my neighbors. That stadium seemed even larger as a kid, like one of the 7 wonders of the world or something.

First they changed the name to Sh***tiField, and now they are going to close it down altogether. Why is that again? If you demolish it, they will come? Something like that.

Anyway, I'm sure the new park will be great, although frankly I don't care and have taken no interest in what it is going to look like. I'll still be a Mets fan. It won't affect that, but some of the familiar shapes, dimensions, and memories will fade, and that can't be a good thing.

But they will still be my neighborhood team.

No comments:

Post a Comment